Raja Dasgupta Director & Film Maker Documentary film makers from India, 2008
Raja, 56, son of late Hari S Dasgupta, passed the Senior Cambridge Examination from Calcutta Boys’ School, in 1970, and graduated from Delhi University, with Honours in Economics, in 1974. His debut documentary film A Song for Birsa (35mm; B&W) won the Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Award for Best Documentary in 1979 and was screened at Mannheim Film Festival, Germany, in 1980. Raja is a member of Steering Committee of International Film Festivals of India and member of Executive Council & General Body of Children’s Film Society of India.
Raja is married to the well known Bengali actress Chaitali Dasgupta and their elder son Birsa Dasgupta is a young and upcoming Bengali film maker. Their younger son, Ribhu Dasgupta is also getting to shoot his first feature film, "Michael".
- Film Executive with Hindustan Thompson Associates, Calcutta (1978-82)
- Manager, Film & Video, with Response India Limited, Calcutta (1984-85)
- Worked as Cameraman and Associate Director to his late father Hari S Dasgupta from 1976 to 1982 on all his documentaries (35mm)
- Directed and Photographed Acharya Nandalal (1983) for Govt of West Bengal (35mm)
- Produced and Directed Paschimbanglar Purakirti (1985) for Govt of West Bengal (35mm)
- Directed Tagore’s Dream : Our Dream (1988) for National Network, Doordarshan
- Produced and Directed Masnad-e-Bangal (1991) for Victoria Memorial Hall
- Produced and Directed The Wonder that is Sikkim (1993) for Indian Museum and International Council of Museums
Picture on the right: Raja's wife and well known Bengali actress, Chaitali Dasgupta and their son and upcoming Bengali young director, Birsa Dasgupta. (Picture curtsey Kolkatta Curry blog).
- Directed 2 episodes of the Doordarshan National Network serial Stri (1987). Produced by Sridhar Ksirsagar (Bombay).
- Directed some episodes of short story serials Samparka (1986), Raag Anuraag (1987) and Kono Ek Gayer Bodhu (1988 & 1992) for Calcutta Doordarshan.
- Produced and Directed A Day in the Life of a Celebrity (1988) for Calcutta Doordarshan.
- Produced and Directed Manusher Mukh (1988) for Calcutta Doordarshan.
- Directed Funny Folk (1990) for Morning Transmission of Doordarshan National Network.
- Directed Kaalpurush (1990) for Calcutta Doordarshan, for which he won the Aajkaal Television Award for Best Director. (Picture left - Ribhu Dasgupta, picture curtsey Telegraph, 1 August 2009)
- Directed Ladies’ Hostel (1991) for Calcutta Doordarshan.
- Produced and Directed Sondamati Nonajal (1992) for Calcutta Doordarshan.
- Directed Goopir Gupta Khata (1994) for Calcutta Doordarshan.
- Produced and Directed Chokh (1995) for Calcutta Doordarshan.
- Directed Ekushe Pa (1995) for Zee Bangla.
- Directed Podipishir Bormibaksho (1996) for Calcutta Doordarshan.
- Directed Jungle ki Gehrai Mein (1997) for Doordarshan National Network.
- Produced and Directed Swapnoneel (2000) for Alpha Bangla.
- Produced and Directed Tarakar Ekdin (2000) for ETV Bangla.
- Produced and Directed Mainak Upakhyan (2001) for ETV Bangla.
- Directed 4 Tagore stories in Galpoguchchho (2001-2003) for ETV Bangla.
- Directed 11 music videos of Geetanjali Series (2007) for Doordarshan National Network.
- Produced & Directed Mukhguli (45 min) for Calcutta Doordarshan (1993).
- Directed Asatyakam (90 min) for National Network, Doordarshan (1995).
- Directed Srot (90 min) for Akash Bangla (2001).
- Directed Doka (100 min) for ETV Bangla (2002).
- Directed Moho (100 min) for ETV Bangla (2002).
- Directed Anya Nakshi (100 min) for ETV Bangla (2002).
- Directed Valentine’s Day (100 min) for ETV Bangla (2003).
- Directed Rangbadal (90 min) for Alpha Bangla (2003).
- Directed Tiktiki (152 min) for Tara Bangla (2003). It had Soumitra Chatterjee, the doyen of Bangla Film Industry.
- Directed Rastata Jekhane Shesh (90 min) for Alpha Bangla (2003).
- Directed Impro (85 min) for Tara Bangla (2004).
- Directed Saswati (85 min) for Tara Bangla (2005).
- Directed Bus Stop-e Teen Minute (45 min) for Akash Bangla (2008).
- Directed Utshober Din (75 min) for Tara Bangla (2008).
Cinema / Television Commercials & Corporate Films
- For ITC, HMV, CESC, Ramtech Industries, Bharat Biscuits, DPS Software, Sunrise Spices, Dhunseri Tea, Hindustan National Glass and Hutch.
- Star Cigarettes and Maya Contraceptive Pills for Bitopi Advertising in Bangladesh (1984).
- Asian Paints Shiromani Purashkar Videos (1993-1997).
Films and Filmakers On Kalapana
Check the full list of articles about films and film makers.